RES PRINCIPAL'S BLOG TO STAFF - SUN., AUG. 27, 2017
- Liza, Pam B., and Sherry who attended CPI Training with me all day Tues. at WUHS.
- Pam B., Rose, Amy, Jill Sherry, and Joan who were there the night of the "Meet & Greet" and Pre-K Orientation.
- All of you who actively and positively participated in the Staff Retreat Friday!
- Those of you who have submitted your introductory bio and classroom supply list for the blog!
Leave Request Procedure - Based on our discussion at the retreat, please see attached the Substitute Procedures. The "staff leave request" is always on a blue form and can be found in the copier room.
Emergency Drills - According the State of Vermont, we are to have a fire drill every month. Wed. is the only day in August so we will have a drill in the afternoon. Since we have brand new pre-k students, we will not have one in the morning until the end of next week to give them time to settle in. PLEASE review the emergency fire drill procedure with your students.
Hours - Staff are to arrive by 7:15 AM and may depart at 2:45 PM. We park in the lot to the right of the school, not to the left or in the rear. Please be careful about how you park so we can all have a parking spot. If they are all taken, we simply park on the circle.
Elevator - Our school does have an elevator, but to use it you must have the key from the office. When the elevator is not in use, please leave it on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
Staff Breakfast and Lunch - If you want breakfast and lunch, please tell Heather in the morning by putting in on your classes' lunch list. If you are a specialist or other staff, please tell Heather by 8 AM so she can prepare the proper amounts. Please pre-pay her for the month of food. Accounts should be paid in full each month.
Tech Needs - I am Reading's "Tech rep" and as such am responsible for your technology needs. Please e-mail me with Tech in the subject line so I know it's a tech request. No need to call Raph, I'm the first responder, and then I call him if needed.
Staff Handbook - To make it easier, I have created a "draft" staff handbook to be a resource to people who miss trainings, etc. I will be handing it out and discussing it at our first staff meeting on Wed., Sept. 6, from 2:45 - 3:45 PM.
My Office - My office has confidential student information and often things "in progress." Please don't ask the custodians to enter my office if I am not there.
End of Day Classroom Routines - This year we would like to continue to emphasize personal responsibility by having students help with the classroom/school clean-up. The expectations/requests are that:
- All chairs will be on desks or stacked in the corner of the room.
- All trash picked up off the floor - there should be no paper scraps, paper clips, pens or pencils on the floor. The room should be "vacuum ready."
- Compost sent to kitchen disposed of in container.
- All windows shut and locked.
- Thank you for helping support our students' growth in responsibility of their environment!
EAP - For those of you who are new to us, our organization offers a benefit called, "EAP" or Employee Assistance Program. This program offers free counseling, legal advice, etc. for members of our staff who may be going through a difficult time. It is a FREE benefit and one that is very helpful. There is a form on the wall in the staff copier room with more information.
Day 1 Reminder - Please be downstairs at 7:20 AM with your classroom doors locked. We will have your doors opened after morning circle for you after we "circle up."
Maintenance Request - Please use the half-sheet blue "Maintenance" request for any physical repair that needs to be completed and put it in my mailbox. I assign the priority to it making sure we have the needed materials and assign it to the custodian. PLEASE DO NOT ask him directly to "fix something" in your room even if it will "only take a second." Please document the need with the form and we will expedite appropriately.
Schedule Promptness - There is nothing more frustrating that tardy staff. Let's all be respectful of each other and each other's LIMITED time, and pick up our classes on time, etc.
Summer Purchase Orders - Since we do not have summer staffing, we have to delay deliveries of materials until someone is here to receive it. I have checked on all deliveries and they should be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest. In the future, if you need something ordered, please put a delivery request date on your purchase order and state if you will be willing to come here and receive delivery if it's over the summer. Thank you to those who have been patient, flexible, and understanding.
Communicate Early and Often - Please send me copies of anything you send home. Not for approval necessarily, but so that I can help manage the other things around school with that in mind AND also not be blindsided when someone calls about it. Thanks!
School Supply List - We are asking families to spend no more than $15. on school supplies, as they help us "make the ends meet." Please complete the Google Doc I have shared with you. Parents will be able to view it today. Supplies can be sandwich bags, earphones, kleenex with lotion, folders, composition books, colored pencils, etc.
Happening this Week:
- Mon., Aug. 28 - Inservice -
- 8 AM - 3 PM -Math & Science Inservice at WES (Take your lunch!)
- Cathy and Sherry at Rediker Training at SU - 10 - 12 Noon
- Tues., Aug. 29 -
- 8 AM - 9:30 AM - SU District Meet & Greet
- 10 AM - 3 PM - Time in your classrooms (Cathy providing lunch, bring your own beverage.) (Cathy is "off".)
- Wed., Aug. 30 -
- 1st Student Day for 2017-18 School - 1st Day Breakfast Provided by the PTO
- Jean here this Wed. only
- 2:55 - 3:15 PM - 1st Day "BRIEF" Debrief - Gr. 5/6 Classroom
- Spanish is the Special
- Thurs., Sept. 1
- Music is the Special
- Fri., Sept. 2
- Library Media is the Special
Mark Your Calendar/Upcoming Events: (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
- Mon., Sept. 4 - Labor Day - NO SCHOOL!
- Tues., Sept. 5 -
- Jean/Nurse here
- Cathy "Off"
- Wed., Sept. 6- Staff Meeting 2:45 - 3:45 PM - Gr. 5/6 Classroom
- Thurs., Sept. 7 -
- Cathy at "SLT"(School Leadership Meeting) for Elem. teachers, 9-11 AM at SU
- Fri., Sept. 8 - Rediker Training 9-11 AM
- Mon., Sept. 11 -
- 1st Day of Mindfulness
- Art is the Special
- Tues., Sept. 12 -
- 1st Day of PE
- Cathy "off"
- Cathy at Tech Contact Meeting at SU 3 - 4:30 PM
- Thurs., Sept. 14 -
- Jen at Tunbridge for Education Day
- Cathy and Sherry at Rediker Training 3-5 PM
- Wed., Sept. 20 -
- EST Meeting 2:45 - 3:45 PM - Gr. 5/6 Classroom
- RES Board Meeting -6:30 PM - Gr. 5/6 Classroom
- Mon., Sept. 25 - Thurs.,, Sept. 28 -
- Gr. 6 - Web of Life Day Field Trip (Patty going M, W; Cathy going Tues., Thurs.)
- TUES., Sept. 26 - Cathy "off"
- Wed., Sept. 27 - Superintendent Visits our school 9 - 11 AM
- Fri., Sept. 29 - All Staff Goals due to me
- Tues., Oct. 3 -
- Cathy "off"
- 6th Gr. Transition Meeting
- Wed., Oct. 4 - Picture Day
- Thurs., Oct. 5 - SLT(SU leadership Team-principals, etc.) Meeting at RES - 8 - 1 PM - which teacher would like to volunteer their classroom for use?
- Mon., Oct. 9 - NO SCHOOL
- Tues., Oct. 10 - Cathy at Prof. Development Training (Waddington)
- Wed., Oct. 11 - Cathy at Prof. Development Training(Waddington)
- Thurs., Oct. 12 -
- Cathy at Elem. Principal Meeting at SU 2 -4 PM
- Back to School Open House - 5:30 - 6:30 PM
- Wed., Oct 18 - Superintendent Visit 9-11 AM
- Tues., Oct. 24 -
- Cathy "off"
- K-2 Teachers at Spelling Training
- Fri., Oct. 27 - End Term 1 - Pumpkin Raffle
- Mon., Oct. 30 - Pumpkin carving in Art
- Tues., Oct. 31 -
- Cathy "off"
- Fright Night at Town Hall
- Wed., Nov. 1 - Photo Retake
- Thurs., Nov. 2 - Cathy at SLT meeting 8:30 - 1 PM
- Mon., Nov. 6 - Grades due in VCAT
- Tues., Nov. 7 - Cathy "off"
- Wed., Nov. 8 - Report cards go home
- Tues., Nov. 14 - PK/K Field Trip to Lebanon Opera House